June 30, 2013 by Cups n Pucks
Rumors around the NHL are that this off-season will be one of the most active in recent years. With the salary cap shrinking for the first time in the cap era, many big name players are on the block. According to sources including TSN’s Darren Dreger and Bob McKenzie, Tyler Seguin, Bobby Ryan, David Perron, Sean Coutier, both Vancouver goaltenders, and Jeff Skinner are just a few big name players being tossed around in trade talks. With 2013 also being considered the deepest draft since 2003, it might be easier to pry away these elite players.
Another baffling piece of new out of Colorado is that the Avs are set on taking Nathan Mackinnon first overall. Joe Sakic and Patrick Roy have been saying since Roy’s hiring that they are more interested in taking one of the big three forwards (Mackinnon, Drouin or Barkov). It is baffling many analyst that home-town boy and number 1 ranked prospect, defensemen Seth Jones isn’t the shoe-in to be the first overall pick for the Avs. Could all just be smoke and mirrors, but, if what the Av’s brass is saying is true, they will be taking Mackinnon first overall.
With the compliance buy outs and lowering salary cap, Andrew Ference, Ilya Bryzgolov, and Vinny Lecavalier are some big name players looking for new homes this year.
There are a bunch of free agents this year but nothing to special. Names liKe Lecavalier, Horton and Filppula are on the top of the list this year. It seems that July 5 (the start of free agency) it will be a lot slower and the draft is the place for movement this season.
As for the Hawks, They are sitting with the 30th pick and then not another pick until the 4th round. It is difficult to determine who the Hawks will take with the 30th pick or even if they will move up or down in the draft. Bolland is on the trading block and could bring back a decent pay off.
- Get to know a draft pick – Nathan MacKinnon (prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com)
- Avs say Nathan MacKinnon is their No. 1 pick in NHL draft, but is he? (greaterdenver.co)
- A big day for Halifax Mooseheads upcoming at Sunday’s NHL draft (metronews.ca)
- Hope mounts that MacKinnon might go No.1 in NHL draft (cbc.ca)
- Avalanche Leaning Toward Drafting MacKinnon With First Pick At NHL Draft (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- NHL Draft Profile: Nathan MacKinnon (stoopsports.com)
- 2013 NHL draft’s deep pool of talent boon for Avalanche, but other teams sure to improve too (denverpost.com)
- Avalanche looking at MacKinnon for 1st pick (bnd.com)
- Colorado Avalanche’s chief scout likes Nathan MacKinnon too (denverpost.com)
- SI.com 2013 NHL Mock Draft first Round (sportsillustrated.cnn.com)